May 9, 2012

5 Seconds Flat

Time of Life: 4:28pm May 3, 2012

My mother had just arrived home from work. After we exchanged greetings I got in the car to take an early birthday present up to the grandmother. Seeing as my grandmother wasn't home, I had a wonderful visit with my grandfather. The visit included a walk through his vegetable gardens, talking about school, my plans for summer, and a plan to return the next day. I said my goodbyes and got in the car to go home to supper that my Mom was preparing. Just like routine I got in the car, buckled my seatbelt, started the car, turned on the lights, and shifted into reverse. I turned around in the drive way, pulled forward, and looked both ways. 

It's not a very busy street, no intersections, a few houses, and a slight hill. After checking to my left, my right, my left, my right, and my left again, I went to move my right foot off of the break and accelerate. My foot was stuck. It was like a huge wad of bubblegum was holding my foot on the break. My knee was locked in one position and I couldn't move it. I was frustrated, but in the middle of my frustration the following sentence flashed through my mind, "Grandfather witnesses death of granddaughter at home." Before I could even think "that was weird", a HUGE red gravel truck came speeding over the hill, and I was left breathless. There is no doubt that I would have been killed instantly. In those 5 seconds, I would have been flat. 
google image
I was too shocked to cry, move, or breathe. I just kept seeing a flash of red and the white letters: "M", "A", "C", and "K"stamped in my vision. I collected myself, looked both ways, and pulled out of the driveway, taking the same path that I would have taken seconds earlier. I am here writing this today by the grace of God and his invisible bubblegum that kept my foot on that darn break peddle. 

I guess my work here isn't done.

No comments:

Post a Comment