May 25, 2012

Joy Comes with the "Mourning"?

Pregnant relative at the funeral for my Great-Grandmother. Is it the appropriate time and place for a big ol' "Congratulations!!!"? It's the first time you've seen your relative in a long time, but at the same time, you're not exactly happy, nor are you full of sincere excitement. Well let me tell you, it's not exactly easy being the "good news" either.

This summer will be my fourth summer working in a protestant church. My first two summers fresh out of high school I spent in a local Anglican church, and the next two, a Baptist one. Three out of the Four congregation announcements were difficult times for my heart. 

  • The first time my employment was announced it was right after a death announcement. I was trying so very hard to say goodbye when everyone around me was trying to welcome me by saying hello. 
  • My third employment announcement was made as the congregation was saying goodbye to a well loved youth pastor of 8 years who was transferring churches. I was trying to make my way to say goodbye, but there were too many "hellos" in the way. (Is that a bad thing?)
  • My fourth and most recent employment announcement came directly after a very special family in the church announced that they will be moving and transferring membership. "We will miss your family very much, but we have good news to bring forth..as Annie will be working here for the summer." People didn't know whether to clap or cry. Heck! I didn't know whether to wave hello to the congregation or goodbye to the family. (Is that a bad thing?)
It is really hard being the "Good News Bandaid". I don't have time to soak up the reality of the sad occasion, before having to greet people with smiles, and hugs, and words of thanks. 

Buttttttttt as with all things, I can see the blessing behind the speed bump. There are many people that no matter what, just seem to need a dessert, especially after a not-so-delicious meal, and if my good news can be that for somebody, and if my employment news can help them to focus on the positive aspects that remain at the church then by golly I'll be it, and I'll be glad. 

And really, it is a blessing to receive a bunch of hugs after you hear bad news that touches your heart. The motivation (congratulation) behind the hug doesn't matter, because it's a hug, and after all, it can be the best medicine for sad news. 

To answer my questions: NOT AT ALL! It is a MARVELLOUS thing when the "hellos" are lounder than the "goodbyes". Clearly I am still saying hello. I am saying hello to reflection, and wisdom.


May we always save our fork in hopes of pie.
May we always welcome "hellos",
and may they always be louder than the "goodbyes". 

Hello! 

No comments:

Post a Comment