May 31, 2012

To Love is to Look

Today's wisdom comes from my roommate. 

I recently had my upper ear pierced. It may seem like a rash decision to many, because all of a sudden while on vacation I decided to get it done, without consulting anyone, but it really wasn't that rash. For a few years now I've wanted to get something done at a Tattoo Shop, but I don't want ink on my body, so that was a bit of a conundrum. I'm also trying to work on the spontaneity aspect (or lack there of) in my life. I promise that my future adventures won't be quite so harmful/painful/permanent, but if this is the most rebellious thing I've done while at university, I think I'm still on the right road. Plus when it comes to pain,  if you can't smile through it, it might be something to reconsider.

After returning home, I didn't get many comments on the new addition to my ear, maybe it is because people are unobservant, or disappointed. Either way, I'm content with my decision. There was one person who noticed at church. A friend of mine who I hadn't seen since Christmas came over and gave me a huge hug, and instantly noticed my earring. 

During a conversation with my roommate, I mentioned that someone had noticed and complimented me on my earring. She said it's because they love me. I think she's onto something. I think when you love someone you do your best to know them well, and if you really love them, you keep getting to know them well. Part of knowing someone is noticing the changes they make. 


I was impressed that my friend knows that I have 5 holes in my ears, so you can imagine how astonished I am with the fact that God knows how many hairs are on my head (Luke 12:7).

I am so happy to be loved by my friend and by God. I'm going to challenge myself this week to be more observant of my loved ones. Feel free to join me :)




It was only a 3 on a Pain Scale. Still smile-able. :) 

1 comment: