June 25, 2012

Monday Mission: Look Up

"I know she's small, but she will be your leader for the weekend, and I wouldn't mess with her, boys. She's a powerhouse!" That's the introduction I get from my friend and co-leader for youth. 

This weekend I said best wishes to a really great friend. He and his wife are moving to PEI. He is one of the few youth leaders that I've become friends with. I find it difficult to make that jump from student-teacher relationship to friend-friend, but with this guy the transition was seamless. He always took me seriously and never looked down upon me, because I was young. He is one of the most prayerful men that I know, and my goodness is he ever humble! He is terribly funny too.

As soon as I heard he was moving I was instantly hit with a feeling of "oh my goodness he is going to do such great things and be such a blessing for an other church." There was no sadness at all, just joy. I know this move is right for him and his family, and I'm just so gosh darn excited for them. I'm not losing a friend in my community, I'm gaining a penpal! How exciting is that? It's not always easy to look up in difficult situations, but he's always looking up, he knows there's a fantastic hand guiding him. 

Last summer as I was starting to look after organizing youth events for the church, I sent out an e-mail to all the youth and leaders. Mr. Youth Leader Man who is Moving, came into my office and looked at me and said, "I knew you were going to do a great job this summer, but I didn't think you'd be THIS good." That's the great thing about friends, they encourage you, see huge potential for you, and are never ceased to be amazed.  From my very first task on the job he saw promise in me. This Spring it was proven just how great our teamwork skills were as we lead the closing youth retreat, (and played washer toss). I planned in the weeks prior, and then he was able to take all of my work, show up the day of the retreat and lead it all: games, devotionals, music, meals. The whole time he kept saying that it wouldn't be possible without me...but I was thinking that about HIM the entire MONTH. Our church has gone through a lot of rough transition in the past two years, and he has been a steady help and servant to count on the entire time. I went from a 15 year old that was Super excited to be in his group for youth group, to a 21 year old even more excited to be a leader with him!

 So this weekend I said best wishes to a friend, an encourager, a prayer warrior, a dedicated servant, and a mentor. Because my church is sneaky and has semi-anual business meetings right after church, Mr. Youth Leader Moving Man had to leave early. He came over to hug me and tell me he loves me, and as quickly as he entered my life, I watched him walk out the door and into a God drivin opportunity. 


No comments:

Post a Comment