June 6, 2012

NOT a biker chick.

This is my first post reporting a bucket list item that was attempted, but unsuccessfully completed. It has always been a dream of mine to have a job where I can bike to work. This summer I accepted a job in my own community, so what better chance to complete this item on my bucket list? Well let me tell you, if this item is going to be put into the bucket, I'm going to have to move a heck of a lot closer to the church, or I'm going to have to work at home. I'm able to run to the church and back in 45 minutes, but biking is a whole other story. To prepare for this goal I had air put into my bike tires (because I haven't used it in 9 years), I bought a new helmet, and I trained on a stationary bike at the gym.

The bikes at the gym are a lot different than ones in real life.
I learned that I'm really good at reading about things and practicing,
but when it comes to the application...well......

I consider myself to be a relatively fit person, and at the gym I am able to bike for about an hour. On the road I biked for less than half a kilometer and I was pretty sure I was going to die, or throw up, which ever came first. Next time I wont eat a huge breakfast right before I ride. 

I am in no way going to take this item off of my list,
but if I want to complete this goal this summer,
I'm going to have to put a lot of work into it.

It's great to celebrate the completion of a goal, but I have learned it is equally important to celebrate solid attempts. So today I will be celebrating my FIRST (of many) attempts to complete this goal!

1. This week I learned that practice drives are essential. If I had just woken up one morning and decided to bike to work...I would have been very late for work.
2. I also learned that skills don't always transfer from inside to outside. On the inside stationary bikes you can go at your own pace no matter what, but out in the wild, you have to keep a certain speed or you'll fall over, and you have to be a heck of a lot more aware of your surroundings.
3. I also learned the importance of seeing "failure" as great first attempts. So all in all, I had a great first attempt. 


1 comment:

  1. Start out small! I recently bought a bike just to have something else to go with my 'get fit and lose weight' journey. I was really scared to ride it because like you, I hadn't rode a bike in a good nine years. I went for a ride with my friends, we just went in a cul da sac just to practice. I know what you mean by it almost killing you. I hated biking around the marsh. I'd have to stop and get off my bike to take a break! But the most important thing is to never give up. I eventually could make it half a lap around the marsh without taking a break, now I can make one full lap around the marsh without taking a break. Sometimes I make a little game out of it, like I try to reach a certain telephone pole before I stop pedaling and just coast a little bit. I hope you accomplish what you've set out to do!

    ReplyDelete