July 28, 2012

Beaut, Beauty, Beautiful.

I know, I know, my vacation is over, but I am STILL learning things from my time on PEI. One of the very first things that I did while on the island was to look around the Acadian Museum, and while in the parking lot I saw a beautiful church! Well, I had to go explore. My friend and I tried all of the doors, and to our surprise one of the side doors was unlocked. We snuck in and I was immediately blown away by the beauty. I had been in catholic churches before, but this one, this one was beautiful. There were paintings, stained glass windows, and the ceilings were arched. I was so happy. I had a hard time catching my breath, now that I think about it, it was breath taking. It was beautiful on the inside and the outside. It had a large gateway with a sign that read, "St. John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church". I quickly stuffed a bulletin into my purse and left.


Later that day, we were driving to find the Bottle House which is exactly what it sounds like (a house that is made out of bottles), when we came across a beautiful church! So, of course we pulled over and ran out of the car. This church was open to tourists and had a summer student there offering information about the church. This church was even more beautiful than the first one! It had a huge cemetery, beautiful architecture, and was simply incredible. 


Then, the day that we went into Charlottetown for the first time, we were walking to the Confederation Centre of the Arts....when I saw it, St. Dustan's Basilica. One of the most beautiful things I've ever laid my eyes upon. My eyes welled up with tears upon entering. I walked as silently as I could. I listened closely to the murmur of prayers that were constantly being said. The whole experience was musical. Then as I made my way around and to the back of the church, Kaly was holding a bulletin and slowly raised her hand to point to the words that indicated that mass was to start in an hour. We nodded our heads and left. After an hour passed in the Confederation Centre we made our way back to the church and experienced Mass at St. Dustan's. After it was over, I begged to come back the next day, (which we did, for Mass again).




















These churches each had things in common:
-I found these churches while looking for something else.
-I have to ask the question, what if I was content with the first church and never made my way to the next, or the next? I would have never experienced the wonder of St. Dunstan's.
-Each was more beautiful than the one before.

I think that is a bit how life works. We experience true life, while we're busy making plans. It is "as we go" that we see the beauty of the world. And if we stay content with how we are, then we fail to grow. My life right now may be a St.John the Baptist church, but I want it to someday be a St. Dunstan's Basilica. I want to grow, become more beautiful, and reflect God more everyday.
I want to make tomorrow more beautiful than
today, and I want to fall in love with God more
each day than the one before.

1 comment: