July 6, 2012

Precious Piggies

Not too long ago two special little ones came into my life, their names are Mary & Martha. They are sisters who absolutely love eating and napping all the time, and are great cuddly little companions. It took a little while to get to know them and decide on their names, but after watching one stay in the hidey house, while the other was out spending time with the people, the names of these sisters fit perfectly. They did not come from a pet store, I made the smart decision of buying from an owner. So, after a very long 3.5 hour drive I met these little girls and took them home with me. They are turning 1 month old tomorrow, so I thought today would be a good day to blog about them. In just one week they have doubled in size, and in appetite. 

I'm still getting to know their sounds.
The high-pitched squeak is when they hear the fridge door, cutting board, or a bag rattle.
The chatter is when I first come home.
The low purr is when they are happy and ready for sleep.
The squeals are yelps for help (when one is separated from the other).
The tweeting is almost a song that both will sing together when they get new hay.

Since they are now big enough to have "floor" time, and are unable to fit through the grid of the play pen, they have become much happier and more energized little creatures. Though Martha still stays in the house most of the time, I know that she'll get brave enough to come and get a snack, so that Mary won't have to keep taking it in to her. It is now a common saying in my household to hear, "Martha! Why don't you get out of the kitchen and spend some time with me."  (Paraphrase of Luke 10: 41-42.) 

Today I may, or may not have called home on my lunch break and had my mother hold the phone up to the cage so I could say hello. You better believe that as soon as I find a nice travel carrier for them....they will be spending some quality time with me at work :)
2 weeks old, still with their mom and dad.
Mary out eating during floor time, Martha in the house.  28 Days old. 


2 comments:

  1. Aww, they are so cute! I had two guinea pigs when I was growing up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They want to know when you will be home ... lol

    ReplyDelete