August 31, 2012

"Bike" Jove, I Think She's Got It

I did it! For a very long time I've had the goal of biking to work. After a very sad failed attempt (which can be read about in "NOT a Biker Chick") I completed my goal! I knew it had to be done this summer, because I may never work in the community that I live in, and even if I do, I may never have my bike with me. It had to be this summer...and it HAD to be today. (I wrote this last night.) I only have one more day of work, and tomorrow I'll be busy in the evening, and sleepy in the morning, so it had to be today, and it was today! 

Once I got rid of all the things that were weighing me down, I was able to go, and go fast! I didn't take a water bottle, I didn't take pants to wear over my shorts, I didn't take an ipod and headphones, nor a phone. I didn't need a new shiny bike, and I didn't wear the new helmet that I had bought. 

I went with just me. I had my bike from grade 6, and my ugly (which at the time was cool) blue helmet. I left all of the distractions home, all of the extras home, and most importantly all of the "I can't"s home. Once I got rolling I didn't try to be the fastest person on the road, and once I got brave enough I even snagged a bit of pavement. I got off of my bike and walked across every intersection that I came to. I nodded to a man in his driveway, I smiled really big when I drove past my friend Dawn's house, and I even saw Ethel from church as I made my way home. 

I biked all the way to where I work, which isn't really that far, in fact I think it's 3.7km each way. Once I reached the drive way of the church I think I almost cried, because it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I am finally ready to go back to school. All of my summer goals have been completed, and I'm able to return to year four a winner. A winner, I like the sound of that! 

While on my home I started thinking about a lot of things, and the main one was this blog. I was becoming very discouraged with it, because I started it as a way to keep track of things I feel called to do, life list items. For the most part I haven't been writing about bucket list items at all, I've been writing about life learning. While biking I was hoping I could run into someone that I could minister to, especially children that I could invite to the Fall Ministries we have planned, but I ended up ministering to someone else instead. Me. Just because on my bike ride I didn't tell someone how God loves them, or invite them to church does not mean that a life didn't change. I know for a fact that one did, and just because it was one that I wasn't expecting does not mean that it was insignificant. My life changed. I realized that just because I set out to do something with a specific purpose does not mean it will go as I plan. My first biking attempt wasn't so great, and my blog has taken a new turn, but these aren't bad things. We are called to minister "as we go". We don't need to set out on a mission to change 10 lives, we just need to be changing lives as we live, by the way we live. The simple smiles to neighbourhood folk, the drivers that saw me obeying the laws of the road, and those around me seeing me accomplishing a goal a living a healthy lifestyle are ways that I changed lives "as I went". If we do our part, God will do his. As long as we do something He will be faithful and give us opportunities. My summer goals have all been completed, and I think it's safe to say it's been my favourite summer so far. 

Just a little tuckered out.  

1 comment: