August 13, 2012

Call-ified

The past two summers I have been working at my church to keep the children's and youth ministries alive while the church transitions into hiring a pastor for those duties. That being said, there are many things that I am asked to do at work that I am not qualified for. At Soulfest I was unsatisfied with my guitar playing, singing, the devotionals I wrote, my ability to navigate, and with my leadership skills. VBS is the same way. The footsteps that I've been following are so huge, and when I do not meet the standards that are known by the church, it is hard on me. It has been difficult to be excited for the up and coming week, when there is so much pressure on me. But as I reflect on everything I've done in life, I've realized that I never feel qualified until the task is complete. Once grade 6 is over, I know the ins and the outs of the school. Once I've made the power points for church, then I know how they should be done. Maybe the only way to be truly qualified is by experience. 


  Well brothers and sisters, you probably know this, 
but incase you could use a reminder...


I know that my job isn't all about God showing me everything I'm terrible at, even though it often seems that way. As I make mistake after mistake, I can't help but feel unworthy, and beaten down. Hello, answered prayer of humility. The more I do things that I thought were impossible for me, the more I realize that they really are impossible for just me, and the more I firmly believe that "everything is possible with God!" (Matthew 19:26)

This summer I was very sure that I was called to work at my church, and so I happily accepted the call. When I think about being called and unqualified, I think of Moses. Here was this man who responded to God through a burning bush. If I remember correctly, Moses didn't feel qualified, and even asked God to send someone else. This is exactly how I felt when asked to direct VBS for the first time. I was looking to my left and to my right to see who was going to direct it....and my boss was looking directly at me, it was I he was talking to. My thought? "But I'm just a youth, I'm only 20, I'm just me." 

It is these "Only"s and "Just"s and "But"s that can hold us back. If we eliminate them, we get: "I am a youth" "I am 20""I am Me". Doesn't that sound better? 

God asked Moses what he had in his hand. It was a staff. A simple staff that he used to keep sheep in line, to lean on, etc. God uses ordinary things and ordinary people to do extraordinary things, and to demonstrate His power. The important thing is that we say yes, we have to say yes to God, offering our simple things and ordinary lives.  It is your availability that matters to God, not your ability. 

So Annie, you've already said yes, so now the question is, "what do you have in your hand?"
-My hands are filled with resources, my mind is filled with ideas, and my heart is filled with love. Nothing is going to be impossible this week. Our VBS Day Camp will be life changing for the kids and leaders, because I am certain that it has been for me, and it hasn't even begun. 

3 comments:

  1. u go Annie ! Don't let any thing or any one bring you down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie

    It is great to see you maturing as a Christ follower. To see your humbleness and passion to serve Christ despite what happens at times. Ministry is tough...but it is so satisfying at the same time.

    It is hard to beat ourselves up. I too never feel qualified (even after 6 years in seminary, and every day I wonder why he called me instead of this person or that person that are more qualified) but I agree with you, God doesn't call the qualified, he calls those who accept his call and then He prepares them. We make mistakes (as did Christ's disciples that walked with him) but it through these mistakes we know then how to accomplish things for God's kingdom. In many ways, this allows him to receive the glory instead of you or I.

    Don't worry about following in the footsteps of others, you are unique and gifted in ways that will reach others that they never could. God calls all kinds of people to do his business.

    Remember, even though I know that you already know this...Christ is in the business of radically changing people's lives, and he does this through relationship, through people like you Annie who establish relationships with others. So good luck with VBS and the rest of the summer. It is neat to see how thrilled you are for this.

    Be like Moses
    Be like Christ

    Blessings
    Chad

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, Annie! You made excellent points and I am so excited for you. Have fun this week!

    ReplyDelete