August 19, 2012

Greetings with Smashes and Splashes

I have been actively involved in my church for almost 7 years now, and during this time there have been 2 pastors that have served as the Pastor of Youth and Children. Now there will be a third. There is something similar about each one of these guys, and it is how we met. The first one, Pastor David, I met in September of 2005, I met him while on the first night of youth group for the year. The youth night was held at the house of a couple from the church. I remember it quite well, because I played table tennis with Pastor David, and I got very wet. The second pastor was Pastor Darrell. My first time actually getting to know him was in August of 2011. We were both working on the church on a Wednesday and I was getting ready for a Kids' Day. He offered to help, and together we tried to poke holes into ping pong balls. I remember it quite well, because I played with a ping pong ball, and I got very wet. The third Pastor, who has yet to be hired seems very nice. I met him on Friday, but my first time actually getting to know him was at a youth event held at a house of a couple from the church. I will always remember it quite well, because I played table tennis with the prospective new pastor, and I got Extremely wet. Let's just say there were pool toys, and many water guns; these mixed with teenage boys....well I was bound to get wet. 

It's interesting that my greetings with all of the youth pastors involved ping pong balls and a lot of water. The greetings involved things that I like a lot...and others not so much. I am a huge fan of the sport of Table Tennis, in fact a played for Team Nova Scotia for a bit of my high school life. Getting wet is not one of my favourite things. I think that having Smashes and Splashes involved in these greetings is a great reminder that each new pastor that I meet will have both good and less good qualities. Just like my first time getting to know each one, my relationship with them will include fun times, and there may also be times when I get wet (literally and figuratively). I know, however, there will be more smashes than splashes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment