October 8, 2012

giving Thanksgiving thanks

Well it is 4:40pm on Thanksgiving Sunday [when I wrote this], and I've already eaten a turkey dinner (with seconds), dessert, AND all of the left overs. To answer your questions, no food is not the main thing I am thankful for, nor is it my extreemly large appetite and speedy metabolism. What is top on my list is the blessing that I am able to live in community with God's creation. Spending an hour with my church family, and spending a few hours with my grandparents and mom was well worth the 6 hours of boat riding, and 7 hours of driving that add up to a weekend home.

Here are some highlights of my weekend of giving thanks

Seeing:
-two of my youth in halifax. It was great to see them spending time in fellowship together.
-tears well up in the eyes of my adopted grandmother. She was happy to see me.
-a pumpkin that weighed the equivalent of 17 Annies.

Smelling:
-the scents of home, because "home" can't be found in the candle or perfume aisle.
-my Nan's stuffing in the oven.

Hearing:
-excited words from people I love.
-compliments on my blog.
-cheerful children running around the Pixar pumpkin people.

Feeling:
-many hugs.
-a warm, new cardigan.
-happy that the town offered fun festivities this year, including horse-drawn hayrides.

Tasting:
-the communion substances from my home church.
-the annual turkey dinner at the house of my grandparents.

Dreaming:
-up an idea for my next sewing project.
-of one day having a space called home, and not living out of boxes. Not moving around every few months, and constantly wondering where I'll be living in September. 
-of the return of my best friend from back home, so that we may one day do the corn maze and actually accomplish it, you know, without cheating and just running through the corn stalks. 

Though I believe it is important to give thanks EVERYDAY of the year, I am very thankful that a day is set a part to encourage us to do so, and to spend time with the ones we love. So this is my post being thankful for Thanksgiving. What are some unconventional things you are thankful for? 

1 comment:

  1. very nice thankful for you as a daughter. luv ya

    ReplyDelete