November 7, 2012

From Bother to Brother

Today I had the pleasure of sitting and preparing for Religious Traditions of India class with one of my very best friends. We were talking about class and how we are not always prepared as we probably should be, when my friend made the comment, "ugh, sometimes I don't speak up in that class because I don't really know what I'm talking about and I don't want to just seem like a dumb jock." I couldn't help but chuckle to myself as I thought back to the day we met. That being said, Today I'd like to share with you one of the very first lessons I learned at University. A lesson that was not learned inside the classroom. 

From preschool we are taught not to judge books by their covers, but it wasn't until three years ago that that lesson really set in. My university has a ceremony during the first few days of "Welcome Week" which involves the first year students being put into groups in the lower courtyard, and walking up to the upper courtyard and receiving a special pin on a lanyard.

The ceremony started out great, I was in a group with all of my friends, and girls that lived in my hallway, and I even liked where we were placed and the moral name our group was given. We were in a straight line and ready to walk up to the Upper courtyard, when all of a sudden this absent minded, can't-be-on-time-for-anything, smooth talking Jock that I'll never see again, runs up, and what do you know, he is added to our group. Great.

The ceremony started, we did some walking, pictures were taken, speeches were given, and then we had some social time before we regrouped to receive our pins. I start talking to an old friend of mine when one of our newer friends who had made her interest in Mr. Absent-minded, can't-be-on-time-for-anything, smooth talking Jock known, stroke up a conversation with him. It turned out they were from hometowns that were quite near each other, etc, etc. Then she asked about his tattoo, making more conversation, (to which I probably rolled my eyes), and then he told her that the number/letter aspect of his tattoo stands for a verse in the bible.

WAM. I'm just going to go bury myself in a hole now.
STRIKE ONE of me feeling like a terrible person.

This stupid, apparently Jesus-loving-Jock continued, telling my friend that he just transfered from a local bible college, and that's the reason he was late for the ceremony.

STRIKE TWO.

Feeling like crap, I stepped in and said that I have a few friends that go to that school. We found out that we have mutual friends, and that we both have similar outlooks on life.

STRIKE THREE.

Without going into lame, corny, rainbows and unicorn friendship details, Mr. Absent-minded, can't-be-on-time-for-anything, smooth talking Jock and I quickly became best friends. His presence in my life during my time here at university has been nothing but a gift from God, and I thank God for him so often. Not only was he a huge gift on my life, but God has also used him to show me many lessons, including the one I just shared, you know, about prejudice and stuff. So there you have it, World, you never know, that Absent-minded, can't-be-on-time-for-anything, smooth-talking-Jock just may end up being your big brother best friend. 


Best friends cook with you,
force you to take time just to look at the clouds,
and best friends promise to keep in touch.
Best friends teach you new things,
say goodbye before long breaks,
and go to church with you in fun ways!

1 comment:

  1. As I wipe the tears away ... I'm so thankful for Mr. Wonderful Dan :)

    ReplyDelete