November 29, 2012

Roomie!

My name is Annie MacDuff, and I am an only child. My entire childhood consisted of me having my own room right up until I started university. My first two years of university were spent living in an all girls residence, but still in a single room. This is not where the story ends. Last year I had a roommate for the first time in my life. I'm still living with said roommate. 

My name is Annie MacDuff and I'm here to tell you that:
Having a roommate is nothing like in the movies. 
I LOVE my roommate. She is beyond fabulous. 
So I thought I would take the time to give you the top ten reasons why I love my roommate. 

10. Food. She makes it, brings it, or buys it. There is no question that food is part of everyday life, and I'm thankful for every spoonful. My ex-vegetarian roommate isn't grossed out by raw meat, she is willing to go to three fast food restaurants just so I have have my ideal fastfood meal, AND did I mention that she works at Subway? Yeah, that needs no explanation. On a side note, I'm currently looking at a chocolate bar that is sitting on my desk, I bet you can guess who it's from. 

9. My roommate makes terrible first impressions, and uses adjective interchangeably. The first week of meeting my roommate here are some things that she said to me: 
"Don't you own any other clothes? All you seem to wear is that purple sweater." 
"You realize that you're never going to ge married because you're so short, right?" 
"Your friend really needs new shoes."
Aside from this she mixes up words such as "aggressive" and "abrasive", and lets not forget all of the times she has tried to compliment me, but ends up coming across terribly "abrasive". These things made it to the number 9 spot, because I think it demonstrates just how valuable her friendship is. If I didn't think we could be such great friends I may never have looked past all of the unintentional insults. 

8. My roommate stands up for me when I am bullied by sales associates, especially those at pet stores...which happens more often than you would think.

7. My roommate carries the heavy groceries...no matter how many jugs of cranberry juice I buy, and no matter how far of a walk we have. 

6. My roommate plays with my hair when I'm sleepy, warms my toes when they're cold, ties my shoes when my hands are full, gives me piggy backs when I'm tired, tucks in my right mitten (because I can do the left), and never complains when I have to make a bazillion trips to the bathroom when we go shopping. 

5. My roommate lets me pick the movie, and plays board games with me...even if she doesn't stand a chance. 

4. My roommate learns new things, sets high goals, and is a go getter. 

3. My roommate brings snacks for me when we go on road trips. (This may be for her benefit not mine...as I tend to get a tad....um...bothersome when I am hungry.)

2. My roommate may not always listen and heed direction....but she always accept full responsibility for her actions. Remember, you can often choose your actions, but you can't always choose the consequences. 

1. My roommate takes life seriously. In the past 2 years she has come to know Christ. She has taken steps to better her life and to live life to the full. She has been baptised, she reads words to help her life, she delights in fellowship, she says grace, she is thankful, she encourages, she donates, she strives to reach her potential, but most importantly: she loves. She loves God, she loves others, and she loves herself. 

Those are my top ten reasons why I love my roommate. I don't just love her because I'm told to, I don't just love her because she needs it. I love her because she loves, and most of the time she makes it pretty gosh darn easy. I've been so blessed to get to know her, watch her grow, and to be her friend. 

In this instance my roommate walked for 45 minutes with me to buy this VBS kit, then walked another 45 minutes home. Isn't she great?!?


She also helps with chores! hehe


PS. That was a really great chocolate bar. 

2 comments:

  1. aww how sweet she is ... I like her lots :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I was smiling right away. Emerald DOES make terrible first impressions. She was so rude to me the first time we met! I don't remember what she said, but Emily had to defend her haha. I'm so glad that I ended up living in Vanier for my final year (for many reasons) because I got to know Emerald a bit better and learn how sweet she is :) I miss her interchanging words :)

    Please tell her I said hi!

    (And again, I find myself wishing I was living with the two of you this year!)

    ReplyDelete