December 17, 2012

The Mas Part of Christmas

Yesterday my family celebrated Christmas, you know, the gift giving, turkey eating, family visiting events. I woke up at 8:30, (I'm ALWAYS the last one to wake up on Christmas morning..sometimes mom has to come and wake me up). I rushed out and saw a stocking, but I was more excited to know it was time for mom to open her gift. I opened my stocking and unwrapped every little gift inside. To give a brief summary...I am currently wearing a lego watch, rolling some dice, writing notes on a cupcake, eating some ginger cookies, peeling a clementine, and eyeing some chocolate, and I apparently smell like katy Perry. Mom's main gift was a published copy of the first volume of my blog. It's exactly what she wanted, and I think she was quite surprised. I then went to church, and received MANY hugs. I think I like that place a little more each time I go. I then had to do errands, because stores were open on our Christmas day, and then I went to spend some time with my grandparents. (A typical Christmas would involve me having breakfast and opening gifts, and eating dinner at their house). I encouraged them to open the gifts I had made them. Interestingly enough, I didn't plan it this way, but almost every gift I gave this year was homemade. My second cousins also surprised me with a visit at church, now I won't feel disappointed missing the family reunion this year.

I think this was one of my favourite Christmases. This year I made Christmas as long as advent. This year, I encouraged my friends to open their gifts as soon as I gave them the gifts. This year I was able to have 15 mini Christmases. This year I was able to get the traditional aspects out of the way, so that I could focus on the reason for the season for the week leading up to Christmas. This year was the most calm Christmas, and the least materialistic Christmas I've lived through. This year everyday of December has been Christmas. This year Christmas was celebrated in part every single day of advent, so there will not be the Christmas crash on December 26th. There won't be the feeling of "that's it? all that for one day?" This year's gifts were exchanged and opened at the same time to celebrate joy and thankfulness together. This year was a humble beginning to what I hope is a tradition of Christmas celebrations for the years to come.

Now that the "mas" is done, massive amount of food, gifts, and decorations, we can celebrate the "Christ" part of Christmas. 

So if Christmas was yesterday, and seeing as my birthday is two days after Christmas....I guess that means my birthday is tomorrow! I sure hope mom has a birthday pie nearby.


2 comments:

  1. :) I got the best gift of all ...you and a wonderful book written by you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post, Annie! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete