May 2, 2013

Trendy

I always learn things from youth group. I know I'm not considered a "youth" anymore, but I'm a big believer in learning through everything. Tonight we were going over fitting in, opinions of others, and what scripture has to say about it. Francis Chan began to talk on a video and one of the first things he said is that "you should be happy when someone puts you down for following God". This whole idea of standing apart resinated with me as I recalled an event that happened a few weeks ago.

I had recently moved in with one of my best friends and I was at school one day enjoying some tea when all of a sudden the girls at the table beside me started talking quite loudly about my roommate. They were saying things such as, "he's just so lame", and "what a downer", and my personal favourite, "and he's all about no sex before marriage, I mean, what is that?!?" 

I was faced with the situation: what do I do? Do I butt in and refute what they had to say? Do I stay quiet and listen to everything? 

No, I didn't interrupt their conversation and pipe up. I could have, and I had the courage to, but it just didn't feel right. In this particular situation, I felt that the best way to show love to the girls, to my roommate and to myself was to hear what they had to say, chuckle to myself, and share the conversation as soon as I got home. My roommate was rather excited about this conversation, and I think I was too. The things that the world sees as lame are some of the top things that I love about my roommate. Staying away from drugs, waiting until marriage to have sex, and being in the world but not of the world are demonstrations of faith, and it is my roommate's faith that gives us such a strong bond, and more importantly it is what keeps a strong bond between him and God. It's laid out pretty clearly in the bible that we are blessed when people mock us, persecute us, lie about us, and say all sorts of evil things against us because we are followers of God. 

You might think it's lame, and the table of girls might think it's lame, but I think it's rather cool to have a friend who stands up for what he believes in, and welcomes blessings no matter how they may come. 

Just because something is trendy, doesn't mean it's truth. What's trendy today, may not be tomorrow. 

May you be encouraged, filled with courage to keep on the narrow path of truth, and to always stand up for what you believe in. It is my hope that you find a bit of joy when others call you a downer for being down with the gospel and what it has to say. Don't be afraid to stand up, and don't ever be afraid to stand out. 
Here's to choosing the narrow road. 

No comments:

Post a Comment